WRITERS FORTRESS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Long Way Home

Go down 
+3
Voice In The Darkness
Meg
McPheever
7 posters
AuthorMessage
McPheever

McPheever

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Long Way Home   Long Way Home EmptyMon 09 Nov 2009, 9:46 am

Title: Long Way Home

Pairing: Kat/Chris

Disclaimers: This is fake, I OWN nothing. If I owned Kat or Chris I wouldn't be writing about them. If you want to sue me for entertainment you get nothing but a closet stash full of candy. And I already ate the good kind!

Rating: Most definitely NC-17. There will be domestic violence, there will be sex, maybe even drugs. And I will "party-boy" every commenter unless they threaten to sue me. I'm very snarky I'm sorry if you find that offensive.

Author's: McPheever and co. aka whatever my co.-write register's as.

Author's Note: I'm honored to share my first writing with the Fortress! This all started with a bit of depression and creativity, it's a blast to be the first McDaughtry story here, and now I wanna write up some McWood (Because the world needs it!) This story will eventually make it's way over at IFF, but y'all get the exclusive. IN WARNING...the only "Beta" or "Grammar-Nazi" we have is each other and Microsoft word. Lets be honest here, all three mentioned suck. Sorry for any mistakes!!

Chapter One:

“Mmph…Ugh.” The only audio sounds emoting from the seemingly lifeless body. From every stitch, and broken bone, it was a miracle this woman was even able to find strength in her vocal chords alone. But like always, that booming voice seemed to shine through to millions in the darkest of hours. Even if it was only to one person right now.

The nurse immediately paged the doctor at the stirrings of the patient. When the room was silent again, only disturbed by an unknown rhythmic beat, that’s when the attacks first came….

High excruciating pitches, indistinguishable within the clutter of jumbled sounds. Flashes of light blinding one’s eyes, so piercingly painful the seconds they got closer. An overwhelming rush of fear rising within the blood vessels making a recipe for the perfect migraine.
God it hurt so bad! As if you plummeted from a building 30 feet in the air, only to be so lucky enough to get hit by a garbage truck once hitting the street pavement.

Her tear ducts seemed to be working perfectly.

That’s when she felt something other then pain. The sensation of water droplets upon your skin. Frozen in time, until finally sliding down her cheeks and dropping to the pillow beneath her.

Immediately bursting in much less then 3 minutes Dr. Donaldson flipped through the charts. By all medical standards his patient shouldn’t be making a sound, much less have brain activity other then the simplistic essentials to live. Observing this medical wonderment he noticed her eye lids flutter. Something that was normal in brain trauma victims. Simply a chemical reaction within the brain causing such actions. But for this woman to simply open her eyes and look around, the odds were slim. But she was indeed beating them. Or at least the smallest of hurtles. Dr. Donaldson flashing a light in her eyes, looking for A reaction, the victim closed them making a groaning sound. One indicating pain. So she had basic senses down. But why was she here? What happened?

Fully opening her hazel eyes once the painful light had gone away, she looked around with a shocked look displayed across her face. All the tubes, all the beeping, the sounds of death ringing in her ears. What was this place and how the hell could she get out as fast as possible?

Your mind is like a computer. A storage bin of memories and skills gained over the years. Her mind was like a secret vault, the essential keys to knowing what had happened, is happening, and eventually store what will happen.

Pacing the emergency room lobby is a tall scruffy looking man. Emotions etched in him with every worry line upon his forehead. His cowboy boots clacking against the dirty tiles of the hospital. He hates places like this. It’s where he lost his ex-wife and very well could lose his best friend. Dressed in a flannel shirt loose around his hips, crumpled from being pulled out from his dark denim jeans. Chris Daughtry pulls off his cowboy hat and holds it tightly in his left hand. His gaze is held to the window outside of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Glooming darkness drafted from the moist rain clouds. Gems of water beating against the window and drizzling down the building collecting with it the lost souls of the night.

The rain clapped against the glass windows of Cedar-Sinai as the only sounds that could be heard was the racing of his own heart. Was she okay? Just how bad was the attack? No one had told Chris anything as of yet and the waiting combined with the being in the rush of the hospital four walls was driving him nuts. The former Idol contestant had managed to gain the world since his time on the show, but in the same respect lose someone that he truly cared for. As much as he and his ex-wife had falling outs due to his stardom, Chris always loved her and now here he was about to lose yet another loved one. It was times like these that made fame seem completely useless. When lives were at stake and a piece of your heart was hanging by a thread you found yourself uncaring of any record deals, or any promotion all you wanted was the simplicity of one more hug, one more moment spent. You never know what you have until its about to be ripped away from you.

Suddenly the sound of the revolving doors snapped Chris Daughtry from his own internal war he was waging on himself. Dr. Donaldson appeared in the waiting room walking toward the scruffy cowboy hoping that his words would provide any kind of hope for the man.
"Are you here for Katharine McPhee?" the doctor inquired hoping that he would say yes to him. Katharine had been picked up off of the street attack alone and broken, if there was anything that she needed right now? It was a kind soul, someone to jolt the reasons into her to live and to want to beat the odds even more than she had already done physically on her own. Shifting his cowboy hat into his right hand, he extended his left to the doctor nodding matter of factly. "Yes, sir I am," he spoke his Southern accent rolling off his speech in slow tones. "I'm Dr. Donaldson, it's nice to meet you," the white coated man introduced himself ushering Christopher over to have a seat in the waiting room chairs. "How is she? Can I see her?" he asked eagerly. Pressing his lips into a straight line the doctor struggled to find the right words to tell the worried man.

"Ms. McPhee has suffered massive brain trauma. We found her and she was almost completely lifeless," he tried to keep things as brief as possible because the brunette singer was indeed beating the odds and hadn't succumbed to the trauma. "I can't give you the complete details of where she was found, but I can assure she is stable," he nodded softly. Chris felt the lump build in his throat as he was told of the news. Swallowing hard, he nodded silently at the words. "Can I see her?" he spoke his voice barely audible of a whisper. The rage in his mind had began to rush quickly around his internal frame. All he could focus on was the idea that Katharine was in more trouble than she knew of. But, for right now retribution wasn't the key. All Chris Daughtry wanted? Was to see his best friend.

"You can see her but she's extremely weak, the visit has to be brief for now," Donaldson explained to the rocker. "Alright," Chris nodded in agreement lifting his heavy body and heart toward the room that Katharine was staying in. Standing outside of the door, the only visual the North Carolina native could see was the distant bed and the body occupying it. How could someone be that cruel? He didn't get it and knew he probably never would. Finding the strength, he pushed his way carefully through the door further into the room to see his most frightening assumptions of Katharine's condition come to life. Shaking his head quietly, he stood in shock for a moment at how badly her face had been mangled. The bruising stretched from the top of her forehead down to the very tip of her jawline. A face once so angelic had become quickly the prime candidate for anyone's nightmare. Taking two small steps toward the hospital bed, he placed his cowboy hat on the table next to the bed. His movements unknowingly slow and deliberate in everything he was doing. Lifting the fragile hand of his best friend into his own, he knelt down beside the bed brushing a strand of hair from her eyes careful not to hurt her. "I'm going to make sure this gets taken care of," he promised. "No one deserves this, especially someone like you," he frowned still completely unbelieving of the sight before him that was his best friend. Gently running his hand over her palm, he lightly released her hand back onto the bed letting his gaze fall on the unconscious singer being brought out of his lonesome grief by the sound of the door opening once again. His guard immediately going up thinking that it was an unwelcomed visitor. Luckily not, he had called Kellie Pickler on the way to the hospital after having found out. The petite blonde knowing Katharine just as well he had if not better. Chris knew that given the circumstances he was going to want the singer to be watched over as much as possible. The rocker didn't have words for the famous country chart topper as he watched Katharine slowly come to with Kellie zoning on what was important at the moment; Katharine.

Lifting her hand up, the life support strapped woman held it in the air, as if to reach out and comfort the woman in the corner of the room. In the mess of tears she was, Kellie ran over to her best friend and gently grasping Katharine’s hand.

“Oh Gawd baby girl!! I thought you were dead!” Kellie cried kneeling down next to the hospital bed Kat rest in. Her tears soaking a bit of the bedding she leaned on. The lifeless girl fought to speak only able to comfort her friend by squeezing her hand lightly to assure her that she was fighting and fighting hard for her life. Chris slipped out silently as the two girls interacted. He had a thought on his mind, and dumping this knowledge upon Katharine...was not the time. He just wasn't sure when it would be....

It had been two days since her first recovery achievements and all seemed to be developing for the best. Slowly, but good enough to judge that she would eventually find her way. Memory just seemed to be the problem. It was like chunks of her life were erased. She knew her name, birth date. All of her childhood. And yet, nothing about what happened to her, nothing about her life that before the accident, made her whole reason for living.

"Anything?" Chris asked Kellie who had been staying by Katharine's bedside day in and day out. The petite blond woman had finally been told of the whole ordeal and vowed to Katharine whether she knew it or not and Chris that she’d stop at nothing to assure Katharine was looked after properly. Shaking her head, the country singer had found herself with sad news yet again for the rocker. The two stood outside the room for a few moments trying to figure out what they could do to help Katharine's memory along, still coming up with blanks. The doctors said it was just a waiting game.

Peisha and Daniel McPhee had been showering the hospital room with an assortment of flowers, and yet refused to visit there daughter. As much as they loved Katharine the McPhee’s refused to see the baby of the family hurt, and so fragile by the way Kellie and Chris had described the once bubbly brunette. In there eyes, you had perfection. And then there was McPhee perfection, one of the many leading causes of Katharine's seven year battle with bulimia.

Chris was on the payphone down the hall on the talking with Kat’s parent’s describing the latest progress upon the singer. Kellie down stairs in the café as Chris offered to take the shift of watching Kat so the distraught blond could grab something to eat. Having known his hospital days with Deanna, Chris knew Kel had gotten nothing in her system since she had entered the hospital.

Last edited by McPheever on Sun 17 Jan 2010, 2:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/KMcPheeOrg
Meg

Meg

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long Way Home   Long Way Home EmptyTue 10 Nov 2009, 3:31 am

This sounds like it's going to be dark, dreary and suspenseful. And you put in my favorite pairing? Count me in. I'm excited to see where you take this.
Back to top Go down
Voice In The Darkness
Admin
Voice In The Darkness

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long Way Home   Long Way Home EmptyTue 10 Nov 2009, 8:31 pm

So Frances ... looks like you've been holding out on us Wink From lurker, to commentor, and now author; and a very talented one might I add. This is a wonderful contribution to Writer's Fortress, I thank you (and your co-author) for sharing it with us. And how did I know Meg would be the first to comment on a McDaughtry fanfic. Long Way Home 871195 I found this opening chapter to be very interesting, dark in nature, and full of emotions. You've put characters into illuminating conflict, yet infused with passion. And i'm sure will devise turns of plot that are inventive and yet, in the best way, seem inevitable. Without doubt, it's a skillful effort on your part and I commend you on a job well done. Update soon.

Last edited by Voice In The Darkness on Sun 15 Nov 2009, 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://writersfortress.forumotion.net
Meg

Meg

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long Way Home   Long Way Home EmptyWed 11 Nov 2009, 12:57 am

Voice In The Darkness wrote:
And how did I know Meg would be the first to comment on a McDaughtry fanfic. Long Way Home 871195

Because I need it to LIVE. devil
Back to top Go down
crunch

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long Way Home   Long Way Home EmptyThu 12 Nov 2009, 12:19 am

oooh, I'm excited about this one. great first chapter! Smile

(my name is allie, btw)
Back to top Go down
Night's Sweet Caress

Night's Sweet Caress

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long Way Home   Long Way Home EmptyWed 25 Nov 2009, 2:55 pm

A very impressive opening chapter for your debut story here at WF. I love the details and emotions that just roll through this. I'm very curious to see how this develops and in finding out who assaulted the ever beautiful McPhee. Don't keep us waiting too long for an update! wow yes hug smilie greet
Back to top Go down
Tia

Tia

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long Way Home   Long Way Home EmptyWed 25 Nov 2009, 3:07 pm

I love this. Its exactly my favourite kind of read. Update soon!!
Back to top Go down
McPheever

McPheever

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long Way Home   Long Way Home EmptyWed 16 Dec 2009, 3:12 am

Author's note: well I've been in the hospital for some time now, currently sitting in it this second but they have free wifi!! BUT I couldn't resist teaming up and writing for your guys. Here's the next installment and Chapter 3 is coming shortly, just some grammar checks and were ready to go. Enjoy!
p.s. sorry for it being so short, chapter 3 will make up for this!

Chapter two:

Walking confidently through the halls of the hospital, he stirred clear of any signs of Chris or Kellie. They were closest to Katharine aside from what he was supposed to be as her husband, and they also speculated that Nick wasn't who he claimed to be for the masses. Cokas wasn't about to have anyone or anything stand in his way of keeping up his image, nor even pick at his marriage. Making his way to Katharine's room undetected, he took a small breath, clasped the flowers firmly in his right hand and pushing the door handle with his left.

"Baby," he smiled softly at his broken bride. Setting the flowers on the end table, he pulled up a chair to the corner of Katharine's bed leaning forward kissing her cheek gently. "You feeling okay, love? You had us so so worried," he voiced his concern. Katharine nodded meekly, "I'm here, aren't I? We're survivors, remember?" she offered her husband a weak smile. She was still weak from all the injuries but the doctors said she would make a complete recovery. "That we are," he grinned widely, leaning up to kiss her cheek once again as the sound of the door opened, with Chris and Kellie entering. Nick scowled at the sight of the duo keeping close to Katharine's side. The North Carolina native's body immediately tensed up as he stood a comfortable distance away from Nick trying to prevent a scene. The blonde rushed to the opposite side of Katharine's bed keeping a silent stare on Nick. The tension had clearly built leaving Katharine slightly uncomfortable. Here she was stuck in the middle of her very own Western movie. Friends versus Husband and the fragile singer in between it all. What a position to be in.
Looking over the pair of country bumpkins he should say Nick narrowed his eyes. "Do you mind? I'd like some time alone with my wife." The older man said in a threatening tone. After all who even cleared these two to be by HIS wife's side. They were in no way related, and Nick thanked heaven and hell for that little factor.
Katharine helplessly eyed her friends. She knew they cared, but this was her husband. If he wanted alone time with her? She'd want some too. After all you couldn't blame a girl for missing her prince charming.
Kellie held her head low for a second. She couldn't cry in front of Kat, but this week was becoming more then she could handle. Balancing time with Katharine and her own future. Leaning down she Kissed her best friends cheek. It’s not like she could voice her opinions, not when Katharine’s heart was on the line. “We’ll be outside baby. I promised I wouldn’t leave you. So if you need me call. Maybe Chris and I can go check out some magazines for you and bring them up?” She said hopeful Chris would get the hint to leave too. The rocker simply had his gaze on Cokas. He always hated the man. To him Nick was a fraud and a fake. He hated when guys like Nick got to go home to amazing girl’s like Katharine. Not that he had ever met anyone as close to the 2005 Idol runner-up.

Kellie looked around the room trying to find some sort of breathing space, but the tension of Chris and Nick was clearly in the room. Turning back to Kat she smiled at her best friends response.
“Thanks Kellie, your always looking out for me! Be sure to get the gossip ones so we can read about ourselves!” Kat giggled trying to make the best of her stay. But Kellie made it easy for her.
Walking over to the door the country singer yanked on Chris arm coaxing him out the room.

"Chris," Kellie said softly as the rocker stood solid glaring at Nick. Finally, snapping out of his internal rage he finally agreed to leave the room. "We'll be downstairs, Kat," he reassured matter of factly as he unwillingly made his departure.

"Finally," Nick let out a small breath pushing his best smile for his broken beauty. "I'm so glad you're okay," he tucked a strand of her brunette hair behind her ear keeping his dark eyes solely focused on his main concern; Katharine. "Me too," she nodded slowly closing her eyes feeling completely at ease against his touch. She had appreciated the round the clock assistance from her friends, she had been missing her husband terribly. Nick had always been the one to make everything okay and she never wanted that comfort to leave them no matter what happened. "Where's Lilly?" she wondered. Nick chewed his cheek, "I figured seeing you this would be too much, you know? It would be a lot for someone of her age to handle," he reasoned.

Katharine frowned, "I guess, I just miss her," she kept herself still trying to keep from moving. When she had any sort of body movements sometimes it lead to sharp pains. As much as she was in recovery, she was still battling the ins and outs of her injury. "I know, love. You'll see her very soon, I promise," Nick nodded reassuringly taking her hand into his own trying his best to comfort his wife in anyway that he could. Katharine nodded in response, laying completely still not wanting to aggrevate anything on her fragile body. As much as she was in recovery, she was still very much not healed.

"Can you believe some of the insanity?" the blonde singer was highly entertained by the junk the tabloids wrote about herself and fellow Idol alum. "It's really quite amusing they think we're that messed up," she shook her head, laughing. But, Chris had other ideas. The rage of seeing the not trustworthy husband of Katharine's had left an extremely sour taste in his mouth.

Flipping through each page, the rocker felt himself grow more and more frustrated with the nonsense he was reading. But, his anger wasn't stemming from some small-minded critics, he was livid that the not trustworthy husband of his best friend was parading around like he was husband of the year when Chris knew different. "This is goddamn fake, just like that Cokas," he ranted. Kellie sighed rubbing his bicep lightly, "You need to be careful, as much as YOU may not like him? She loves him, we have to support that," she tried to explain to the North Carolina native.

Sighing heavily, he kept his thoughts to himself just nodding simply. The blonde singer just wouldn't understand it and he had been awake for far to many days to try and explain it. Everything had quickly become very tense.

Last edited by McPheever on Sun 17 Jan 2010, 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Voice In The Darkness
Admin
Voice In The Darkness

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long Way Home   Long Way Home EmptyTue 29 Dec 2009, 12:13 pm

Once again Frances, you and your co-author have proved your exceptional ability to entertain and enthrall with your latest update. Great job. reading great Also I hope this mssg finds you feeling much better and you're able to celebrate New Years at home. hug
Back to top Go down
https://writersfortress.forumotion.net
Meg

Meg

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long Way Home   Long Way Home EmptyTue 29 Dec 2009, 8:27 pm

Oh my goodness, I didn't know you had updated this. YAY! Nick seems shady, like he always does. lawl. UPDATE SOON.
Back to top Go down
Cupid's Crooked Arrow

Cupid's Crooked Arrow

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long Way Home   Long Way Home EmptyMon 11 Jan 2010, 7:04 pm

This is so cool, all dark and mysterious like. Which is something that I like to read. Very nice. yourock waytogo
Back to top Go down
McPheever

McPheever

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long Way Home   Long Way Home EmptySun 17 Jan 2010, 2:14 pm

bump

Chapter Three:

* Italics represent the past.

Two long tiring but developing weeks had passed since Katharine was admitted into the hospital after the gruesome attack. The woman still plagued with not being able to remember the night in its entirety. But her focus was just getting back home, to her little girl and her husband. As much as the singer wanted to be better, she hated being in hospitals and felt that she would be much better off in her own bed. The early morning had arose in the white walled room. Already dressed and ready for the day to move on with continued success. Today was the day she would finally be released home. Nick was downstairs filing out the last of the paper work for her release, Kellie helping Kat get ready to leave, whilst Chris was just looking over things. The Daughtry rocker still had been acting very hostile toward the entire situation, setting off a mild alarm in McPhee. She knew the North Carolina native better than anyone, so his mannerisms were giving him away with ease to the fellow Idol contestant. Occasionally exchanging glances with him, she tried to read his thoughts anyway she could. Not getting a clue inside him though, due to multi-tasking preparing to go home with the help of Kellie and just overall excitement in general.

"What?" Chris asked taking notice of Katharine's wandering hazel hues in his direction. The rocker was beyond annoyed that people were buying into Nick's nice guy facade when the producer was clearly an asshole. Well, an asshole in Chris's eyes so far. Daughtry knew that it would be a pretty long time before reality set in for the singer but when it did? He knew he wasn't going anywhere. He would be the first person at Katharine's side. In fact he was after the attack, nobody could deny that it took Nick rather long to finally show up for his wife.

"Nothing," the singer shook her head as she sat upright on the hospital bed sorting a few of her belongings. She let her eyes do the talking for now. She knew he was pissed off about something but she wasn't going to call him on it. The tension in the room clearly building between the two best friends because Katharine didn't understand Chris' unshakable hatred for her husband. It was quite offensive at times in her mind. This was the man she loved and Chris was supposed to be her best friend and support her and more times than none… he didn't.

Sensing the tension between the pair, Kellie quickly chimed in hoping to lighten things up. "You must be so excited to see, Lilly aren't you, baby girl?" her thick Southern accent streaming through her words. The bouncy blond was just as happy as Katharine to get her out of the hospital. She knew that Katharine was much better off anywhere her child was. Katharine's face immediately lighting up at the mention of her daughter. "Oh yeah," she nodded matter of factually. "It's been way to long," she sighed. She couldn't wait to just have her baby girl back in her arms once again. If there was any medicine in the world for her at this point that would work? It was going to be the love of her daughter.

The conversation between the best friends was broken when Nick and the doctor entered the room to give Katharine the follow up information for her next set of examinations. Nick quickly shifting to Katharine's bedside holding her hand as they listened in on the doctor's instructions. "You're going to need to return here weekly for cat scans and regular examinations," he instructed. "For pain? The vicodin should suffice. One per every eight hours. The headaches shouldn't be that regular but just in case, I prescribed it." Nodding to it all, she listened carefully making sure she didn't miss anything before thanking the doctor for all of his help.

"Your chariot awaits," Nick smirked pushing the wheel chair over toward the bed helping Kat down onto it. Once Katharine was settled into the chair, he pushed the chair in the direction of the exit careful not to bump into anything. "Baby, my stuff," she chuckled lightly as the over-excited Nick began to make his way out of the hospital uncaring of anything or anyone else aside from Katharine. "I'll grab it, darlin'," Kellie smiled reassuringly just happy to see that the couple was getting along. She knew that Katharine needed Nick now more than ever and it was nice to see the two getting along so fantastically again. Descending to the lobby Katharine and Nick, along with Kellie and Chris in tow to the car. This rather quite moment leaving Kat's thoughts to wondering, it all disappeared once she could see her chariot to normalcy. Standing as she reached the car, she hugged Kellie tightly. "Thank you so much for everything. I promise I'll call once we get settled," she nodded softly as she pulled away from the embrace. Looking over at Chris, she chewed her cheek unsure of how to alleviate the obvious infuriated look in his expression. "I'm okay, boob don't look so grumpy," she smiled sheepishly trying to pull one out of him before she left. "I know, take care of yourself, baby." he pushed his best fake smile hugging Katharine tightly before letting go as the Cokas-McPhee family headed home.

"I don't like this one bit," he sighed heavily as the car pulled away. Kellie just shook her head. "You worry to much, Chris. She's fine and happy for the first time in weeks, just let it go," she scolded as the two walked back to their respective cars to head home.

The past week had been a dream for Katharine, her and Nick were getting along more then ever after her recovery. He had paid more attention to her then ever since the beginning of the marriage. It was like a second chance in a flame that had been dimming slowly, as all marriages sometimes had.

The McPhee-Cokas family had all piled into the living room to watch a movie with there daughter. The happy and hyperactive child had been passed out on floor for about an hour now. Katharine and Nick were happily getting more then friendly upon the couch, much like a pair of hormonal teens.

Giggling between Nicholas' light pecks, Katharine kissed Nick with up most passion. He truly knew how to make her feel loved for once in her life. Moving her hand away from his chin down to his shirt covered skin Katharine slightly whimpered as her husband pulled her leg up on his hips. "Nick..." Katharine whispered grasping his shirt. "Bedroom...please? Lilli-" The worried brunette was stopped with a kiss from her husband, seemingly confusing her. If felt like a goodbye kiss as he got up from the couch fixing his shirt. Frowning the singer sat up watching him. "Where you going?" Kat questioned Nick, clearly confused and upset with his sudden departure.

"I left something at my office." The producer responded. Not even looking at his wife as he gathered his briefcase off the coffee table and gathered papers. "Can't that wait until morning Nick...we never get time together? I go on a radio tour next month!" She pouted trying to convince him to stay.

"Time is money, Katharine," he scolded the young singer, sighing heavily at her need for him to stay there. They had spent the entire day together after all putting off work for the sake of Lillian now it was time he got serious once again.

The tone grew cold in the brunette mother's voice, "You're going to see her, aren't you?" she questioned harshly. The day had been so amazing, Katharine thought that there worries could eventually be behind them. They could actually be the family that they had dreamed of being. Shaking his head in disdain, Nicholas walked away without any confirmation. In his eyes, he wasn't in the wrong. The only sound that could be heard in the room between the two was the sound of the closing door to their home. He had just walked out.

Katharine carried Lillian in her arms as she left the car. After a long day the child was fast asleep upon her mother’s shoulder. Kat and Lillian spent the day in Seattle at a McPhee family reunion. Unfortunately Nick was stuck at work, much to the disappointment of Daniel and Pheisha. Of course Katharine would have preferred her husband with her, but understood he had a responsibility at his job. Unlocking the door Katharine slowly crept in knowing Nick would be asleep. He hadn’t expected his family home until tomorrow, after he suggested they would be to tired to drive home from the day and should rest in a hotel.

She had figured surprising her husband would be fun, they’d finally have some alone time with Lillian asleep. As she made her way through the house making effort to not make noise Katharine crept to Lillian’s room. Getting the toddler in her crib she gently kissed her baby good night and went back into the hallway. With a bright smile she tried to quietly make it over to her room down the hall. Hearing a rustle in the bed sparked Katharine with excitement. As from the sounds of it, it appeared Nick was awake.
Opening the door Katharine almost dropped to the floor. Her skin felt like it would melt off from the stomach acids churning in her gut. A stab to the heart as she witnessed the image before her. Nick was with someone else, furiously pumping into a much younger looking blond. Letting out a small cry, as she felt the breath taken from her lungs, Katharine shut the door and quickly ran down the hall slamming her fits into the wall as she haphazardly made her way to the kitchen. Through tearful eyes she crashed into the fridge placing her back to it. Her head was dizzy and it felt like her entire body was going to burst into pain. Katharine slid down to the floor slowly holding herself as she cried.
Where did this go wrong? She spent her whole life thinking she wasn’t good enough, and now she wasn’t even good enough to please her own husband.

About an hour later Nick and his mystery girl were giggling down the hall headed for the door. Katharine was sitting in the kitchen, just waiting. Frozen in her emotions and pain. It felt like everything Nick promised her was a lie, if he could make love with another, did he even love her?
“Mmm well don’t you go sharing sweet thing. Our little secret you naughty girl” Nick said smacking the tall blonds ass as she left the house. Turing from the closed door Nick laughed to himself. That girl was trouble, just how he liked it. Clad in his boxers the 5 O’clock shadow on his chin and cheeks at it’s prime Nick walked into the kitchen with intents of finding himself a drink before bed. Strolling in with a bounce in his step he halted entering further once he saw Katharine.
The pair stared at each other for awhile not sure what to say, or whom would even try to first. It was clear Katharine was crying, she looked a mess, Nick thought.
“Hey baby, when you’d get home?” He played it off like nothing happened. Heading to the fridge to grab a cold beer. Still in her seat Katharine followed him with her eyes. Was he joking? Was he trying to avoid the fact that he just got caught cheating? Angered and hurt Katharine closed her eyes. “Who is she?” Suddenly the kitchen was quite. Leaning against the counter Nick pulled the tab on his beer. “She’s the lead in a play I’m producing. I was helping her with lines.” The older man quipped with a satisfying smile. Katharine was the same naive little girl he met at the age of 21. She’d take his word. “In the bedroom, Nick? Your rehearsing lines this late at night, in our bedroom?” Katharine spoke in a shattered voice, she wasn’t buying it. It honestly hurt even more that Nick could think she’d be as dumb to buy into that lie. When Nick chuckled sipping his beer; Katharine’s temper was boiling.
“Do you think I’m stupid!” Kat said infuriated trying not to raise her voice in fear of waking Lillian. Standing up she dared to look her husband in the eyes, or whom ever he was. The Nick she married would have never cheated on her.
Narrowing his eyes at the woman as if to warn her on the disapproving behavior Nick stepped forward. “How dare you speak to me like this! Who brought you to the idol audition? Who was there for you through your mental disorders? And you dare question me when I tell you the truth!?” He wasn’t backing down, and certainly didn’t like Katharine acting like this. In shock of this revelation from Nick, Katharine almost screamed at him. HE shattered her heart, he broke there vows, for some fun night with a blond?
“Your in your boxers Nicholas! In our bedroom! I saw y-ou! Y-you were inside her!! YOU FUCKED HER NICHOLAS I SAW YOU!!”
By now Nick lunged at his wife planting her down on the kitchen table clasping his hand over her mouth. “Shut up! Shut up you ungrateful bitch!” He said venomously into her ear. “Your right baby, I did fuck her! I have been, and I’m still going too! And guess what princess! Your NOT leaving me. What will Lillian think of mommy splitting up the family? Your nothing without me, and I’ll fight for Lillian and win full custody. Your not stable little Kat, your not stable with your schedule or your mentality!” The man she loved and vowed forever with spat into her ear. Lifting himself off the shocked woman he looked down at his wife. “I expect you in bed once you clean this shit up!” He said in a low town purposely spilling his beer onto the floor as she lay upon the table terrified. Katharine was going to learn she needed him. And if she was going to be successful and loved, she’d just have to deal with his little side project.
Once he left Katharine finally let herself go and cried. He was right. She wasn’t good enough to keep him happy or Lillian without him. She owed her career to him convincing her to go to the Idol audition. And despite what just happen, Katharine Hope Cokas, was madly and deeply in love with him.
The singer never felt so tragically lost without a light to guide her then now. In all honesty dealing with the betrayal in every day life would seem to be hardest for Kat.
When morning broke Katharine was already awake. Facing the wall away from her husband. She felt him shift in the bed as the alarm clock sounded. Through out the night she just wanted to grab Lillian and run out on the man, but her heart told her no. He’d come around, apologize, she knew it! Her prince charming was just, hiding. The brunette had convinced herself this all night instead of sleeping.
Slamming the alarm clock off Nick stretched under the sheets and looked over to his wife. He knew she’d come around to his ideas eventually. After all he had made her. Leaning over and wrapping and arm around her ,he kissed her cheek and went about to get ready for work. When the woman shifted in bed to place the pillow over her head he simply chuckled. His wife clearly was beyond stupid sometimes.
That morning Nick left work without a cheerful kiss from Katharine like he used to. Or breakfast together, as the couple did when they actually could have a morning. It honestly didn’t bother him that much. His little project would gladly pick up a coffee for him at the office.

Katharine’s day had started with Lillian crying for attention in her crib. When Kat finally willed herself into the child’s room Lilly was close to climbing out her crib with anticipation. “Lillian no! No! Don’t do that!” The highly tensed brunette shouted in fear freaking her baby out to cry. Sighing Kat picked up the toddler and gently held her in her arms. “Sshh baby. I’m sorry I didn’t mean to yell but what you did was dangerous. You could-a got hurt.” The woman spoke softly to try and sooth the baby. “I’d be lost without you.” The seemingly lost mother whispered as she kissed Lillian’s temple. When her daughter seemed calm enough Kat looked down at the girl gently wiping away the silent fallen tears. “How about we go to the park today? Just you and me baby girl.”

“Lillian would you --,” she was cut off as the little girl ran straight for Nicholas. Katharine froze in her tracks as the oblivious Lillian embraced her father in a tight hug. The brunette felt her heart sink as their daughter unconditionally displayed her affections to her father. The night prior had held the means to a potential end for the “perfect” couple. Katharine had always suspected his cheating but never wanted to believe it. Nick was the man she loved, the missing piece and here he was completely breaking every wedding vow, every promise made to her. He was supposed to be the guiding light but here he was plummeting her into the darkest of places.
“Me and Mommy went to the park today and we went on the swings and I met this really cool girl, her name was Carrie Ann and we played in the park for a little while.” the excited six year old told her father. “AND THEN,” she giggled excitedly. “Mommy got us ice cream and we had chocolate cones.” Lillian nodded. “How was YOU’RE day, Daddy?” Lillian asked her father. Nick kept his focus solely on his daughter the entire time, he could feel the pieces of Kat's heart slowly begin to break beneath him but he wasn't going to bat an eye. In the producer's eyes? He had done nothing wrong. but he knew that if he didn't exhibit any kind of remorse, the media would eat this alive and his chances of making a life outside of the shadow of Katharine Hope McPhee? Would be demolished.
“Well, Daddy just spent the day working, not really to exciting,” he shrugged, putting on his best smile for his daughter. “How about you go wash up and we can maybe watch a movie together? That sound good?” he grinned widely. “Awesome!” Lillian exclaimed in agreement running off to the bathroom as he put her down. Dark eyes finally fell on the distraught singer. Offering his wife a blank stare, he had no words for his actions other than silently walking into his office as Katharine stood there completely lost.

Staring blankly out into the living room, Katharine's gaze quickly shifted to the stirring child on the floor. Lillian had began to start waking up with the small noises that she had heard while she was sleeping in the living room. Pushing herself off of the couch, the young singer took everything inside of herself to keep it together for the sake of her baby girl. “Sh, sh, come on let's get you into bed, baby,” she tried to shush Lillian back to sleep as best as she could. Lifting her carefully off of the floor, she walked the drowsy child to her bedroom. Putting her carefully into her bed tucking the covers over her small frame, the Idol Alum planted a gentle kiss on her child’s forehead. “Goodnight, baby girl.” she whispered to her daughter as she made her exit out of the room. Shutting the light and closing the door halfway, she managed to make it to her own bedroom before the emotions came barreling in full throttle. The tears began rushing down the soft cheeks of the brunette as she tried to figure out why she wasn't good enough for the man she was so deeply in love with. What was it about her that made her so incredibly undesirable? She had given him everything that she was, entrusting her biggest hopes and dreams in this man. How did it all go so horribly wrong?

She had kept finding him with another woman a secret for so long. Truthfully, Katharine was more embarrassed by the fact that she couldn't please Nicholas than she was actually finding him in bed with another woman. Most people would say it was completely Nick's fault, but in Katharine's mind she was the only one that could really be to blame. Trying to contain her trembling body she managed to pick up the phone beside the bed and dial her best friend's number. Kellie Pickler and herself had been through more than any pair of women could ever dream about. She knew that no matter what she told Kellie she would always be there for her. The rings had seemed like they had taken an eternity when the Southern accent finally sounded on the other end.

"Hey, darlin' you doing okay?" Kellie answered the phone. The hour was uncharacteristically late for Katharine to be calling so he wanted to make sure that Lillian and her fellow singer were okay. "No," Kat answered plainly feeling the lump in her throat start to build as her voice shook once again the only audible speech that could be registered was cries. After holding it all in, Kat had finally lost it all.

"Nick's cheating.. he's cheating, how come he doesn't love me? I don't understand," she wasn't making any sense at all but logic had gone out the window. She was a lost soul once more. "Oh my god," Kellie was clearly shocked by the news. "I'm so sorry, baby girl," the compassionate friend responded unsure of really what she could say to make this right. "You didn't do anything wrong, you hear me? I just don't understand that husband of yours, babe," she shook her head on the other end of the phone completely thrown by the news.

"I just don't get it, Kellie. I gave him everything," Katharine curled up into a ball as she clasped the phone to her ear crying into the phone unknowing of what was going to happen next, just that her marriage was in shambles. "I know, darlin' shh," she tried to comfort Katharine as best as she could. But, what could she really say to the distraught singer? Giving Kellie the details that she couldn’t bring herself to talk about Katharine promised to call Kellie first thing tomorrow so they could spend time together with Lillian in hopes of getting the brunette off of her troubles for awhile. Hanging up the phone, Katharine laid on her bed totally drained from her sobs staring up at the ceiling. What could she do? This was the man she was completely in love with. Naive or not, she was going to find a way to stick by his side.

In the coming weeks RCA had called Kat out on mini radio tours promoting her second single Love Story, it hadn't taken off as well like Over It did. Worried Clive Davis set up some interviews for the girl, hoping her recent tabloid reported hospital day would help flare up the newest pushed single.
For Katharine it was a nightmare, all anyone truly cared about was her beating, not the music. She was an artist, not a tabloid queen. Or at least the married woman had thought, clearly this was not the case.
Finally home, ready enough to be in her warm bed next to her husband, whom she neglected to truly let his cheating sink in. Katharine's back was turned a world away form her lover. The radio tour didn't go well and so the record company had set up Katharine with a few men's magazine photo shoots. The last spread had her legs wide open, and with her daughter in this world she didn't want to make that out to be okay, to any child or girl looking up to her honestly. Nick had been treating her better ever since she stopped bringing up his..."business" but despite his efforts of being kind and gentle, it does nothing to quite the internal conflict.
Back to top Go down
Meg

Meg

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long Way Home   Long Way Home EmptyTue 19 Jan 2010, 5:58 am

Boo yah, totally called that on Nick. I'm sure he had something to do with Kat's attack because he's a priiiick. Step in with a baseball, Chris. PWNAGE. Anyway, update soon. bed
Back to top Go down
McPheever

McPheever

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long Way Home   Long Way Home EmptyTue 16 Nov 2010, 6:34 am

**A rather short update when compared, but it's also much a Beta, there may be changes if I see fit so keep a keen eye!**

They made love a month after their fight. It was cold and mechanical, she shivered each time his hand touched her, flinching like a paper doll in a sharp winter breeze, praying to just get swept away. They used to be passionate, they used to be in love. But every time he tied up his tie and left for work…Katharine never felt more safe.
Opening her eyes to the California sun beaming through the silk shades in her bedroom, Katharine stirred a moment feeling her way around the bed to make sure that he was gone. It was so sad that the man that once took all of her troubles away was now the prime cause for the heartache she had in her life. The loveless marriage she was leading was slowly starting to take its toll on the singer, but her heart couldn't let her surrender not yet. The man she fell in love with was in there somewhere, he had to be. Willing herself out of bed, she stretched her tired bones making her way into her daughter's room to get her up for the day.
"Baby girl," she said gently rubbing the little girl's arm to try and get her awake. Seeing the little angel open her eyes, she smiled down at her daughter. "Mornin' sunshine," she greeted with a gentle kiss on her forehead. "Mornin' Mama," the brunette baby girl smiled sleepily at her mother. "So, I got the whole day off, so I was thinking you and I should spend the day together? Whatever you wanted, we could do it," she nodded matter of factly. Lilly's eyes lit up brightly. It was rare that she had this much time to spend with her mother. Katharine was usually always off doing something with her career. "Okay!" she giggled happily. It was the sound of her daughter's laugh that was getting her through. The young singer was wondering how she was even waking up anymore. Her life just seemed to be falling apart everywhere she turned.
Assisting the little girl through her morning routines, they had breakfast together before somehow ending up on the floor of the family room with coloring books. She knew it wasn't much as far as a day together, but it was simple. Something that she had missed being for so long. Her life since American Idol had seemed to be a whirlwind of exposure, fast-paced executives and just an overall busy feeling that she had never been really used to. McPhee was eternally grateful for it all, but at the end of the day she would much rather be spending time with the one's she loved the most; her family.
The sound of her cell phone ringing soon brought her out of her heavenly daze she was in helping Lilly color some Dora the Explorer character. "Two seconds," she promised, trying to keep her young daughter from fussing to much. Sighing softly, she lifted herself from the ground viewing the ID on the phone. It had been one of the executives from RCA. "Please don't be some stupid appearance call," she huffed, just simply wanting to spend time with Lilly for the day. "Hello," she answered the phone finally. "Katharine, hi, love... um.." the man stammered on the other end. His tone was far to cryptic for her patience to bare. "Yes, can I help you with something?" she asked trying to sound as friendly as she could but she was growing rather annoyed with the constant badgering she had to deal with from them especially with appearances she wasn't entirely comfortable with. "Look, I know we've been working you to the bone, but the sales are just not cutting it. We've tried to keep things going for as long as we could, but we're going to have let you go," the man tried to lay out the news as gently as possible. Gulping slightly, the brunette singer felt her heart drop, her first thought upon Lillian. She had so many emotions running through her she had forgotten Nick brought home income as well. "I don't understand, things seemed to be going so well." She truly didn't get it, Britney spears shaved her head and still had a job? Yet another thing, she had to deal with. "I'm sorry," he said regretfully. His tone did sound genuine but her heart was to broken to really let it register. "Thank you." Was all she said before hanging up the phone. The silence was broken by Lillian calling, fussing for her mothers time. Kat couldn’t move, she was just fired from a job she had spent 23 years working so hard to get too. Burying her phone back into her pocket, she sat down next to her daughter letting it all sink in. Her marriage, her career all in shambles. Suddenly an overwhelming "connection" soon rushed over. Nick had been working late constantly, he had been cheating with that tramp she had caught him with. Was she a singer? "That.." she sighed heavily, her hazel orbs falling on Lilly before anything could come out. "Mama needs to go get some water, I'll be right back," she excused herself from her daughter heading to her kitchen propping herself up against the sink trying to contain the rage that had swept over her. How could he do that to her? The one man that was supposed to believe in her with a whole heart. It was unfathomable. Taking a deep breath, she did what she could to collect herself and finished her day out with her daughter before Nick arrived back home.
The brunette planned it out perfectly to have Lilly down for a nap when her husband would be due back home. She didn't want the little girl to see her mannerisms around her father or even pick up on a fight between them. If there was anything good left in her marriage to the producer, it was that little girl. Katharine knew for a fact that no matter what would happen between her and Nick; Lilly would always be there everything. Hearing him come into the house, she sat in the living room. "Funny thing happened to me today," she said rather dryly. "What is it?" he asked rather vexed with the idea she was even talking to him. Gritting her teeth, to keep from lunging at him for his demeanor alone, "RCA dropped me from the label.. wonder why that is Nick? Maybe the girl you were fucking in our home wants a career and fucked you just enough to persuade you to get her one?" she glared.

The business man crossed his arms highly amused. Maybe his wife wasn’t as dense as he thought. If only he had thought about reaching his RCA contacts for more ass. But one factor remained, she was the way to get into the business like he had. With any ties severed Cephas Entertainment would suffer. “One problem sweet heart, I wasn’t the one who didn’t do her job right! Why would I try and cut off more income to this household? And why would I get that bitch a career? Her best talent is her mouth on my dick! Maybe if you just strutted your ass in Playboy like I told you too, your fucking ass wouldn’t be going to unemployment tomorrow!”
“Are you kidding me Nick? Playboy? What about Lillian!?” He started to laugh at his wife thrusting his hands out. “How the fuck would a 6 year old get a hold of playboy you dumb fucking broad!”
The brutal man’s words stung much as if an ice pick slammed into Katharine’s chest. As of the moment any love for the man flew out the window. Turning from him she went storming off to the bedroom. Curiosity begged him to follow his wife as he threw his tie and jacket on the hook next to the door. “Katharine..” He called after her following the fuming woman to find her buried in the closet.
She felt so numb and animalistic all she knew was she had enough of his words and wasn’t going to take his shit anymore, she had to leave. She didn’t care where she went. Ripping at the hangers and the clothing it held she was throwing her entire wardrobe into a suitcase, she never would fit all of those dresses and jeans into one carry-on but she barely had logic on the mind. All she could feel was the rage an how her body was shaking from adrenalin. Nick calmly walked over to the smaller women and laid one swift open palmed smack across the defunct singers face. It snapped Katharine out of her task and she just stared at him. “Get those fucking clothes back in the closet. NOW.” His voice turned eminent with violence as if scolding a child. Katharine wondered if he ever spoke to there child this way? Her face grew cross and she pushed his chest with her hand taking a step foreword. “GO.TO.HELL.NICK!”

Without thinking Nick grabbed Katharine’s wrist twisting it until she screamed from the sharp pain and dropped at his feet to the floor. Kneeling down in front of her he pulled her chin up so they were face to face. “Listen beautiful, don’t you ever think for a second you can leave me. You’re a worthless skank and will never step foot out that door alive!” She felt broken and so angry at how she was ever in love with this man, before he spoke another word she spit in his face and scrambled over the bed running out the room. Unfortunately for Katharine, Nick was already up and lunging for her, pulling her back by her hair and back into the bedroom. He slammed the door shut.
That was the night Katharine begged for her life. And that was the night Lillian herd her mothers cries.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Long Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long Way Home   Long Way Home Empty

Back to top Go down

Long Way Home
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WRITERS FORTRESS :: LITERARY GENRES :: FanFiction :: American Idol :: McDaughtry-
Jump to: